In Western cultures, more than 90 percent of people marry by age 50; however, 40-50% of U.S. marriages will end in divorce. In this blog post, Hollingsworth Roberts Means, LLC will explore divorce statistics to better understand this common phenomenon.
Multiple Divorces & Demographics of Divorce
- 60% of second marriages end in divorce.
- 73% of third marriages end in divorce.
- 22% of women in the United States have been divorced.
- 21% of men in the United States have been divorced.
- 20 to 24-year-olds make up the majority of those who get divorced (37.5%.)
- Women who are under 20-years-old make up 27.6% of all women who get divorced.
First-Time Marriage & Divorce
- In the United States, there is one divorce approximately every 36 seconds. That's nearly 2,400 divorces per day, 16,800 divorces per week, and 876,000 divorces a year.
- The average length of a first-time marriage that ends in divorce is 8 years.
- The probability of a first marriage ending within the first 5 years of existence is 20%.
- The average person who gets divorced takes two years to think about it before acting.
- 75% of divorcees will remarry.
- Typically, divorcees wait 3 years to get remarried.
- 6% of divorcees remarry their spouse.
- Of all Indiana cities with over 5,0000 residents, Rochester had the highest (people over the age of 15 who are divorced) divorce rate (24.3%.)
- Of all Indiana cities with over 5,000 residents, West Lafayette had the lowest divorce rate at 2.9%.
- Of all Indiana cities with over 5,000 residents, Nappanee had the highest amount of separated peoples at 5%.
- Of all Indiana cities with over 5,000 residents, St. John town had the lowest amount of separated peoples at 0.1%.
Need a Divorce Attorney?
If you’re looking for a compassionate Indiana divorce attorney, look no further than Hollingsworth Roberts Means, LLC! With decades of family law experience, you can trust our attorneys to take care of you and your divorce needs.
Call (888) 211-3888 now to set up a consultation today!